Of all sections of the spine the lumbar spine is subjected to the heaviest and most severe loads, since it provides support for the pelvic and abdominal cavity organs, connects the upper and the lower parts of the body, and serves as the center of gravity in the human body. Treatment at the Institute of Vertebrology and Rehabilitation is not just about pain relief, we strive to find and eliminate the cause of pain in the lumbar spine.
Causes of lower back pain
There are two types of pain in the lumbar spine: primary and secondary.
Causes of primary lower back pain include:
- Osteochondrosis and osteoarthrosis of the lumbar spine.
- Protrusion of the lumbar spine intervertebral disc.
- Herniation of the lumbar spine intervertebral disc.
- Pathology of lumbar joints.
Causes of secondary pain in the lumbar spine include:
- Spinal curvature.
- Spinal injuries, such as injured vertebrae, their displacement, stretching of the lumbar spine muscles and ligaments, as well as injuries of the intervertebral discs and joints.
- Inflammation of bone and cartilage tissues of the lumbar spine: arthritis and rheumatic diseases.
- Infectious diseases of the lumbar vertebrae affecting intervertebral discs.
- Referred pain caused by the diseases, inflammation and disorders of the internal organs in the pelvic area
Treatment of lower back pain at the Institute of Vertebrology and Rehabilitation
Our professionals develop treatment courses on a case-by-case basis, depending on diagnosis, frequency and type of pain. Typically, a course of treatment for the lower back pain involves up to 10 uninterrupted consecutive sessions. Generally, the patients can feel the pain syndrome relief in the lower back after 2-3 sessions.
In cases when patients suffer from severe or acute pain, doctors at the Institute of Vertebrology and Rehabilitation resort to special treatment methods aimed at elimination of pain syndrome, reduction of tissue swelling and elimination of muscle spasms in the lumbar spine.
For this purpose, our experts use:
1) Therapeutic blockades of the spine and joints, multiple injections of anti-inflammatory agents.
Once acute pain in the lower back is eliminated, professionals at the Institute of Vertebrology and Rehabilitation proceed with the treatment to eliminate the causes of the disease itself.
2) Physiotherapy. Exposure to ultrasound, electrophoresis and laser relieves the remaining pain syndrome, improves blood circulation in tissues, oxygenates the affected area, and activates muscle work.
3) Shockwave therapy breaks salt deposits and, thus, improves mobility in the lumbar spine joints.
4) Spine correction is performed by our doctors to restore normal vertebral positioning and eliminate vertebral displacement in the lumbar spine.
5) Therapeutic massage aims to improve blood circulation in the joints and relieve muscle spasms in the lumbar spine.
6) Spinal traction is performed after the massage, when the muscles are warmed up and relaxed. This method aims to eliminate compression of the nerve endings and relieve muscular load in the lumbar spine. At the Institute of Vertebrology and Rehabilitation spinal traction is performed mechanically with the help of special medical equipment.
7) After the main course of treatment, systematic physical exercise is a prerequisite for long-term retention of the achieved effect. It can be quite dangerous to workout with regular fitness training stimulators at the gym, because the load on the muscles and joints has to be measured and controlled for all patients with a bad back.
Patients perform individual complexes of exercises with the help of the David high-tech medical training stimulators. The rehabilitation period includes 12 sessions. The whole complex of exercises is performed 2-3 times a week under the guidance of our rehabilitation professionals. Physical training with the David stimulators helps with recovery of the injured joints and strengthening of the muscle corset in the lumbar spine.